Tuesday, November 18, 2014

GOOD TUESDAY EVERYONE

GOOD TUESDAY everyone. Today is a big day for the blog. I have a great interview and review coming up. I got to do a interview with a great author I found actually by accident. I have fallen in love with his books and so would fan girl him if I ever met him. So lets get started.
 Lets all welcome JD Horn to my little corner of the world.

WELCOME TO MY BLOG JD
Thanks for having me Patricia

 Please tell us a little about yourself
I'm a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to writing. I left for college with a first draft of a novel under my arm, but ended up not pursuing a degree in creative writing. I did my undergraduate degree in Comparative World Literature, then went for an MBA after that. After far too many years in Finance, I realized that I had spent the better part of my life doing something I didn't love. When I asked myself what it was I really wanted to do, I realized that it was time to turn back to writing. Thanks to the success of the Witching Savannah series, I've been able to begin writing full-time. I no longer have a copy of the novel I began in high school, but I'm happy to be able to tell you that odd bits and pieces of it were reincarnated in THE LINE. In the words of Mikhail Bulgakov, "Manuscripts don't burn."
Tell our readers , what type of books do you write and how many have you written
So far I have written four novels. Three of them comprise the Witching Savannah series, a Southern Gothic horror fantasy featuring the flawed but (hopefully) lovable Taylor family.  The fourth book (which I actually wrote before Witching Savannah) is called THE ESSENCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR. It's a  coming of age story that combines Southern Gothic elements with Magical Realism. The story is based loosely on my own experiences as a child singer for a televangelist. With any luck, THE ESSENCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR will find a publisher in the near future. I'm also currently working on JILO: A WITCHING SAVANNAH PREQUEL. What can I say? Jilo isn't done with me yet.
Your new book just came out. Can you give us a sneak peek and tell us what is it about
As the cheery title THE VOID may tell you, Mercy and her family will be heading into some very dark places in the final chapter of Mercy's story. Mercy begins this portion of her adventure believing that she has uncovered all lies, and that there are no secrets left. She couldn't be more wrong; the darkest secret and the deepest lie still await her discovery. 
I think of THE VOID as a book with two endings. There is talk in Savannah of the "Bonaventure Curse." This curse demands that once Bonaventure Cemetery gets a taste for a visitor, that visitor will feel compelled to visit again and again until the cemetery itself is satisfied. The finale I had originally intended--Chapter Thirty-Six--takes place in Bonaventure Cemetery, just like the endings of THE LINE and THE SOURCE. I liked the symmetry of concluding all three books in the same setting, and the magic of a three-time repetition seemed sure to satisfy Bonaventure's curse. The problem was that everyone--and I mean EVERYONE--hated my intended ending. Not just a mild dislike or even a smoldering hate. People were grabbing pitchforks and flaming torches and banging on my door. After an extremely short period of reflection, I realized my ending was not only cheating Mercy, it was also cheating the readers who had gone on the journey with her. I was wrong, and I'm glad the people who care about Mercy told me so. I love the updated ending, and hope you all will too.
 
Do you have any rituals when you write.
Naw. I wish I had something cool to say for this, but I'm coming up with nothing. I often close my eyes and take a deep breath before diving in, but I'm not sure that qualifies.
 
Who inspired you to start writing.
Armistead Maupin. His TALES OF THE CITY taught me that literature can be light and entertaining, but profound at the same time. To paraphrase Mary Poppins, a spoonful of entertainment helps the social commentary go down.
 
NOW FOR SOME RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
 
COFFEE OR TEA
Coffee, except on rainy afternoons. Then tea.
 
FAVORITE JUNK FOOD
Carrot cake. Or jelly beans. Ooh. Or maybe Doritos.
 
FAVORITE BOOK OF ALL TIME
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
 
FAVORITE AUTHOR , besides yourself hahahahaha.
Gosh. Eeks. So many. Too many to pick just one. How about a few? Mikhail Bulgakov, John Steinbeck, Armistead Maupin, Neil Gaiman, Charlaine Harris.
 
FAVORITE TIME OF DAY FOR WRITING
I don't have a favorite time, really. When I'm in the zone, outside time doesn't matter. 
 
FAVORITE MUSIC TO LISTEN TO WHEN YOU WRITE
Country/Folk Country--Emmylou Harris, Nanci Griffith, Mary Chapin Carpenter
 
AND NOW MY LAST QUESTION
What would you tell an aspiring writer. What words of wisdom would you give them
Wow. Me. Wisdom. I guess I'd tell them that it appears it really is never too late. So many areas of endeavor belong to the young, but I had just turned 46 when THE LINE sold. If becoming a published author is their dream, they should keep trying. The other thing I'd tell them, though, is to be prepared to face rejection and not to let it cripple them. It's a tough business. Finishing your book is only the first step.
 
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME TODAY AND GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RELEASE DAY
 
AND NOW HERE IT IS THE VOID BY JD HORN
Book Three in the darkly magical Witching Savannah series.
An otherworldly energy runs through the city of Savannah, betraying its sleepy, moss-cradled charm. The old, beguiling streets look welcoming to most…but certain families know what lurks under their genteel surfaces. Families like Mercy Taylor’s, which has the most powerful lineage of witches in the South, know this all too well.
Mercy and her husband, Peter, are happily preparing to welcome baby Colin into their lives. But their excitement quickly becomes overshadowed by a gruesome discovery: someone has scattered severed limbs throughout the city. After a troubling visit from an old foe, Mercy learns dark magic is at play, and someone—or something—wants her and her unborn child out of the picture. To uncover the shocking reason why, the amateur witch must face a force beyond her power…or risk losing everything.


MY REVIEW

This is the third installment of the Savannah witches series. What can I say about the third installment but holy moly.  As soon as I saw that it was up for pre order , I preordered it . Then it came up to read on Netgalley and  of course I like many people jumped at the chance. So I got the book in the late afternoon. Thought I would start it and then finish it the next day. Well I was wrong. I started the book and was so into it , I didn't hear the hubby come home. I was that wrapped up in Mercy and her family. Wondering what was going to happen next. All I can say is thank goodness for left overs and a hubby who knows not to bother me while reading.
I couldn't believe the twist that JD dropped on us and Mercy. I would of never ever thought of what happened and what Mercy actually was and what she would become.
  There is magic and witches but at the heart of this book and all JD's books are family. What family will do when one of their members is attacked. The love of each member in that family. They prove that they will do anything  and everything to keep each other safe even in a crisis and murder . Trust me he puts his characters through some horrible things. Between body parts being found all over Savannah and then the bombing of her husbands bar. There was family to help Mercy  get through it all.  JD weaves such a great tale that will take you to some dark places but will always bring you back. There might be some tears that will fall and you will laugh. Throw your kindle across the room. But, most of all you will be entertained and you will fall in love with Mercy Peter and the rest of the cast of characters . I dare you not to giggle when you read about Jilo , she is one crazy lady , you can't help but fall in love with.
 What else can I say about this book besides its a great read for those cold winter nights. This isn't a stand alone you should really read the first two books in the series. THE LINE  book 1. THE SOURCE book 2 and then THE VOID . Trust me they will suck you in and keep you reading all night long.
.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment