Thursday, May 31, 2018

GOOD THURSDAY TO YOU ALL

   Good Thursday all . Today we are going to review THE MUSIC OF THE DEEP by Elizabeth Hall .

                            BOOK BLURB 

   

Fleeing an abusive marriage and tormented by her past, Alexandra Turner finds solace in a small coastal town on Puget Sound and a job with a local marine biologist studying orcas.
After befriending a group of locals, Alex learns that she has moved to a place that has a reputation of being the “most haunted town in Washington.” Such superstitions would be easy to dismiss…if Alex wasn’t already on edge.
Haunted by shreds of memories of her days with her husband, Alex can’t keep from looking over her shoulder. As unexplained sounds and scents accumulate and unnerving forces seem to take hold, Alex is beginning to believe that she’s not escaping her ghosts, after all. In fact, she might finally be inviting them in.
           
                        MY REVIEW 

        When I sat down to read this book , I really didn't know what I was getting into . This is a haunting book that had me hooked by the third chapter . Alexandra Turner is running from a very abusive relationship. Heading to the east coast and the town of Puget Sound . She has the perfect job there studying the Orcas with a marine biologist . When she befriends a group of well I will say kind of off beat friends at a knitting bee . She finds out that she is living in a town that has been dubbed the most haunted town in all of Washington state . She also arrives in Puget Sound at the wrong time of year where its raining all the time and its just eerie out there . Between the knitting addicts that become her friends and the animal whisperer that is her neighbour .  She wouldn't have thought anything of the ghosts but Alexandra is already on edge when unexplained things and bumps in the night keep her on edge. Will she over come the past or invite the ghosts in . 
   The characters in this book really captivated me . They are well written and complex.  Alexandra is such a tortured character . We know that she is broken and that she is hiding a lot from her past .  We do see her grow a little and start to let go of the past but when the ghosts start to haunt we see an uncertain woman again. Now my favourite character is Emmie , she is the animal/ people whisperer. She is quirky and has some really funny moments in the book. She also becomes a really good friend to Alexandra and does guide her through the memories of the abuse .  The knitting addicts are so much fun to read they are like a family and rib each other all the time . They are there for Alexandra when she needs them . Now Maggie is a little tougher to read she is a strong character but there is a gruffness to her that kind of rubs people the wrong way . But as you read the layers of Maggie do start to peel away . Trust me you will fall in love with these characters just like I did 
      The author takes us on such an emotional journey in this book . There were times when I was reading that I wanted to go through my kindle and help Alexandra out of the
relationship. I was cheering for her the whole time. There were other times when I was laughing out loud . The knitting addicts for one instance . They harped on each other but when push comes to shove they were there for each other . Also Emmie was a hoot to read. There were a couple of spots where it kind of fell just a little flat but over all I really enjoyed reading this book . This was the first book I have read from this author and I am glad I took the chance . I will be looking at more books from this author . So if you want a haunting book that will keep you reading all night long . Add this one to your summer reading list 

No comments:

Post a Comment